As we innovate to create products and solutions for the transition to a low carbon future, an investment focused on Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) strategies requires addressing business, operational, and EHS (environmental, health, and safety) risks. While ESG elicits thoughts of sustainable environmental and social business practices, it is necessary to ensure that hazards are identified and their associated risks evaluated as part of these ESG strategies. Assessing and addressing operational hazards and risks early and throughout the project lifecycle enables effective risk mitigation strategies to be developed and adopted as part of sustainable energy goals.
Highly visible accidents early in the adoption cycle of new technology could create negative perceptions that may be difficult, if not impossible, to overcome. Our goal is to support industry in preventing negative social perceptions towards low carbon energy technologies, whether they be from highly visible catastrophic events or smaller events that result in localized business impacts only.
Our tried-and-true risk management services for renewable and sustainable products identify potential hazards, evaluate the associated risks, and provide effective risk management solutions associated with alternative energy sources, carbon capture and storage, biodiversity, and low carbon manufacturing. From research and development, manufacturing, transport, and end use by consumers, our technical expertise in key technologies including hydrogen, biofuels, and battery energy storage systems (BESS) helps organizations like yours provide sustainable and safe solutions.
With over 30 years of experience investigating industrial accidents worldwide and armed with a wide array of proprietary qualitative and quantitative tools, we have the expertise to deliver results and support risk mitigation strategies.
Certified Safety Professionals
Certified Fire and Explosion Investigators
BakerRisk provides a range of services in sustainability, but not limited to:
- Identify fire and explosion hazards and conduct risk analysis
- Evaluate impacts on corporate ESG strategies
- Design structural solutions to withstand explosion hazards
- Specify explosion protection systems and vent panel designs
- Design fire protection systems inside battery storage rooms
- Loss control audits of existing facilities to identify potential gaps and provide recommendations for improvement
- Research, development, and testing of specific systems/applications
- Test batteries for thermal runaway and other hazards
- Provide consequence and risk modeling for hydrogen producers and users
- Business continuity analyses for the hydrogen supply chain infrastructure including business interruption and associated network downtime
- Review of risk management strategies to help meet ESG goals
- Perform structural analysis and blast resistant design
- Develop Hazardous Area Classification (HAC) contours
- Specify fire protection plans and mitigation strategies
- Perform fire and gas detector mapping to minimize leaks and emissions
- Test hydrogen systems and document associated hazards
- Work with ammonia producers to ensure safe transport and use of ammonia
- Test and/or specify buildings for toxic Shelter-in-Place (SIP)
(Generation / Storage / Midstream / Transportation)
- Provide hazard recognition and mitigation services to utilities using batteries and other fuel sources (solar, wind, geothermal, hydroelectric, nuclear, and others)
- Perform transportation consequence and risk analysis studies for hydrogen, ammonia, and other hazardous materials
- Review of hazards and risks and potential impacts on business in support of ESG strategies
- Work with research labs and utilities to build test systems designed for upgrade of electrical transmission grids
- Hazard Identification and Evaluation studies associated with carbon capture and sequestration (CCS) projects or facilities.
Benefit from our experience in testing and R&D as well as conducting flammable and explosion hazards identification studies to characterize and understand the unique challenges of batteries and Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS).
Our world-class safety expertise is a natural fit to identify and manage the risks associated with the production and use of biologically derived energy solutions.
Leverage our 35+ years of R&D and testing experience to help characterize and understand the safety challenges of the production, and infrastructure buildout of the rapidly growing hydrogen economy.